Aim: - To prepare simple engineering component / shapes by forging.
Material required:- M.S. rod of diameter 8 mm, for making ring.
M.S. square 16×16 mm for chisel.
Tools required: - Steele scale, scriber, hand saw, cross cut file, furnace, hammer, anvil,
flat tong, and swage block.
Procedure for Chisel:-
1. M.S. square of required length is to be cut.
2. One end of the piece is heated in furnace to red hot condition.
3. Hot piece is brought to anvil holding by a tong.
4. The piece is shaped using smith hammer.
5. If required the piece is reheated and the process is repeated.
6. The piece is put in to water for tempering.
Procedure for Ring:-
1. M.S rod of required length to be cut.
2. The piece is heated in furnace to red hot conditions.
3. Hot piece is held with a tong and brought to anvil.
4. The piece is shaped on horn anvil using hammer.
5. If required the piece is re heated and the process is repeated.
6. Complete round is made on swage block.
7. The piece is put in to the water for tempering.
Wear `apron, shoes, nose mask, gloves and tight fitted clothes.
Be careful and attentive while working on job of forging.
Hammering should be done only when the work piece is hot.
Always use appropriate tongs and tools.