Aim: - To prepare Joints for welding suitable for butt- welding and lap welding.
Tool required: - Scale, scriber, hand hack saw, flat file, swing scale protector,
welding machine, eye shield, gloves, wire brush, chipping hammer, welding rod.
Material required: - Mild steel plate of 8mm thickness.
Procedure for Butt Joint:-
1. Two pieces are cut to size and surfaces are cleaned.
2. One edge of both the pieces is prepared at 45 degree angler for making V- groove
3. Electrode is held in electrode holder and earth clamp is clamped to the work piece.
4. Pieces are positioned properly butting each other and tack weld in done at two end
5. 2-3 mm spark gap is maintained and continuous welding is done slowly.
6. Slag is removed using chipping hammer and the weld is cleaned using wire brush.
Procedure for Lap Joint:-
1. Two pieces are cut to size and surfaces to be welded are cleaned properly.
2. Electrode is held in electrode holder and earth clamp is clamped to be work piece.
3. The pieces are positioned overlapping each other for lap joint and tack weld is done at
two end points.
4. 2-3 mm spark gap is maintained and welding is done smoothly.
5. Slag is removed using chipping hammer and weld is cleaned using wire brush.
Wear apron, shoes, nose mask, gloves and tight fitted clothes.
Be careful and attentive while working on welding job.
During welding don’t see the welding light rage directly without the goggles / face
Do not cool the welding piece in water.
Do not keep electrode holder on the welding machine.
No inflammable material should be present in welding shop.