Aim: - To Study various types of carpentry tools and prepare simple types of at least two wooden joints.
Carpentry tools: - Proper use of following carpentry tools should be understood well.
Measuring and marking tools:- Steel scale, try square, bevel square, marking gauge.
Cutting tools: - Cross cut saw, tenon saw, key hole saw, compass saw, firmer chisel, dove
tail chisel, mortise chisel, adze, rasp.
Boring tools: - Auger, gimlet.
Planning tools: - Wooden jack plane, metal jack plane.
Striking tools: - Claw hammer cross peen hammer and mallet.
Holding and supporting tools: - Bench vice, carpentry vice, C-clamp.
CROSS LAP JOINT
Material required: - Two wooden pieces of required dimensions.
Tools required: - Steel scale, try square, cross cut saw, rasp, firmer chisel, and hummers.
(1) Two wooden pieces of required size are to be cut.
(2) The pieces are squared using jack plane and rasp.
(3) Length, width and height for lap joint are marked on both the pieces.
(4) One piece is clamped in vice and unwanted material is removed as per marking, using
saw, firmer chisel and hummer and the piece is finished using rasp file.
(5) The process is repeated on the second piece.
(6) The piece should be fitted with normal hand pressure.
MORTISE/ TENIN JOINT
Material required: - Two wooden pieces of required dimension
Tools required: - Steel scale, try square, cross cut saw, rasp, firmer chisel, mortise and
tenon chisel and hammers.
(1) Two wooden piece of required size are to be cut.
(2) The pieces are Squared using jackplane and rasp.
(3) One piece is marked for mortise rectangular hole.
(4) Another piece is marked for tenon T shape.
(5) The mortise hole is made using mortise and dove tail chisel.
(6) The tenon T- shape is made using saw.
(7) Both the pieces are finished using rasp.
(8) Both pieces should be fitted with normal hand pressure.
Wear apron, shoes, gloves and tight fitted clothes.
Be careful and attentive while working on carpentry job.
Use proper tools for each operation.
Don,t keep any sharp tool in your pocket.
While using chisel cutting should be in direction away from yours body.
Tools being used should be well sharpened.