DOUBLE SHEAR TEST ON STEEL BAR
To determine the maximum shear strength of the given bar by conducting double- shear test.
Apparatus and specimen required:
1. Universal Testing machine (UTM)
2. Mild steel specimen
3. Device for double shear test
4. Veriner caliper / screw gauge
- Measure the diameter (d) of the given specimen.
- Fit the specimen in the double shear device and place whole assembly in the UTM.
- Apply the load till the specimen fails by double – shear.
- Note down the load at which the specimen fails (P).
- Calculate the maximum shear strength of the given specimen bu using the following formula:
Maximum shear strength = Load at failure (P) in N
2 x cross – sectional area of the bar in mm2
The maximum shear strength of the given specimen = ----------------------- N/mm2
1. Material of the specimen =
2. Diameter of the specimen, d = mm
3. Load at failure, P = Kn